How to Write a Compelling Follow-Up Email After a Trade Show
A great experience at a trade show is sometimes not enough to close a deal. For many, the sales journey continues after the trade show has ended. A post-show follow-up email keeps the conversation and excitement going. If you wonder, "How do you write a follow-up email after a trade show?" you have come to the right place. In this guide, we detail the contents of post-show follow-up emails, discuss their importance, and explain how to write a compelling email.
What is in a post-show follow-up email?
A post-show follow-up email is a message sent to attendees after an event. The ultimate goal of this communication is to maintain engagement, but what that entails will vary depending on the event and the relationship with the attendee. Here are some standard components of a post-show follow-up email:
- Gratitude – Thank attendees for their time and participation. Be as specific as possible so the recipient understands that your company notices and values them.
- Event Recap – Provide an overview of the event, highlighting impressive statistics, impactful experiences, and meaningful opportunities.
- Materials – Provide links to resources, presentations, or collateral discussed or requested during the event.
- Survey – Invite attendees to provide feedback by participating in a survey.
- Call to Action – Invite attendees to take a specific action, such as downloading a webinar or scheduling a meeting.
The Importance of a Post-Show Follow-up Email
Trade shows are substantial endeavors, but the work must still be done when the trade show ends. Follow-up emails are essential for solidifying the positive impact of a trade show. A well-written post-show follow-up email can improve a customer's and brand's relationship, continue the conversation, and drive fulfillment on the call to action. It is essential to send a follow-up email within a few days to keep the show experience at the top of the attendee's minds. Sending thank you notes creates a positive impression, and sending surveys communicates care for the attendee.
How to Write a Post-Show Follow-up Email
Follow-up emails vary widely depending on the event, customer, and brand. For example, hot leads and cold leads need different types of communication. Furthermore, sending all cold leads the same email is feasible, but providing each hot lead special attention is beneficial. Regardless of the parameters, the following steps can help you write an effective post-show follow-up email:
- Clearly define the objectives of the follow-up email. Identifying your objectives will clarify the call to action and provide a focus for the email.
- Leverage a lead capture solution to assist in personalizing the email. More on this below.
- Write a compelling subject line that reflects the email's contents and intrigues the recipient.
- Capture the reader's attention with an opening reminding them of where and when you met.
- Clearly and succinctly state the purpose of the email.
- Communicate a call to action that helps the reader determine their next steps.
- Send the email a few days after the recipient has attended the trade show to increase the chances of it being seen and read.
Improve Follow-Up Processes with a Lead Capture Solution
Follow-up emails are focused on ushering customers through the sales funnel, as leads will inevitably be in different places on the sales journey. Leverage a lead capture solution during the event so that when it is time to send follow-up emails, they are highly personalized based on valuable insights into the customer's needs, desires, and questions.
Are you looking for an excellent lead capture solution? Hamilton inSIGHT® is designed to capture qualifying information from every exhibit visitor on your own device, regardless of where they are engaged in the exhibit. It includes the same badge scanning and survey qualifiers as show-provided lead retrieval, plus key differentiators such as compatibility across all mobile devices, branding opportunities, on-demand reporting dashboard, lead scoring, text alerts, image capture, in-booth engagement integration, custom CRM formatting, and voice-to-text notes. Brands can use Hamilton inSIGHT® to make the most of their trade show follow-up emails.
Hamilton is a full-service event marketing agency with a 75-year legacy creating immersive brand experiences for companies throughout North America and around the world. We design, produce, and execute integrated experiences – exhibits, events, environments, and digital solutions – that drive meaningful connections between your brand and your audience.
To learn more, contact Hamilton today!